|Name: MacWhannell, Ninian|
DoB: 15/10/1860, Hutchesontown
Died 23/12/1939, Cathcart
Born in 1860, Ninian MacWhannel was a pupil of Glasgow High School and Glasgow School of Art, and became a draughtsman and later established his own architectural practice in 1885 along with John Rogerson. His practise appears to have been involved in a large range of work, including factories, hospitals, tenements, detached houses and schools (including Battlefield Primary and the synagogue in Lochleven Road, a stones throw from Hampden), mainly in Glasgow and the west of Scotland.
His Queen's Park career was brief, playing five competitive matches in the space of eighteen months, although that did include an English FA Cup Final appearance in 1885. He had a wide range of social interests, including the Doric language, in which he was also an author of a book on the subject.
His architectural skills were called upon by the club in 1889 when the pavillion at second Hampden Park was to be extended, as his company designed a new storey to be added to the existing pavillion which added reading rooms for the members and a new committee meeting room, as well as building an extension to accomodate a gymnasium for the players at the rear of the building.
MacWhannel was also a noted scholar of Robert Burns, and was also Head of the Scottish National Song Society, Deacon of the Fleshers Incorporation, President of the Grand Antiquity Society and also President of the Glasgow branch of the Rationalist Press Association. If that wasn't enough, he went on to be a councillor in Pollokshaws as well as a magistrate. He was also also a keen golfer and bowler.
Married in 1890 with one daughter, he died in the Victoria Infirmary on 23rd December 1939, aged 79.