The club had not been completely unprepared for the removal from their first home, as some time earlier a committee had been established to see if there were any suitable places for a more permanent ground. The committee identified an area some five hundred yards to the north east of the club's first home.
When it became clear that the club would have to move, an approach was made to the landowner to see if they were willing to let the club have the land. He was willing to rent his land, at a cost to the club £100 per annum with a five year lease, but Queen's were canny negotiators and reduced the rent for the first two years to £80. Not only that, but the railway company who were the cause of their moving would pay for drainage and levelling of Queen's new pitch, while the landlord would pay for the turfing of the pitch.
However, this would not be ready until 1884, so the club were forced to look for a temporary home for a season. An agreement was reached with Clydesdale Cricket Club, then based in the Kinning Park area of the city before a move to their current Crossmyloof home, to use their ground for one season, at a cost of sixty pounds.
The second Hampden Park was opened in October 1884 when the club played out a goalless draw with Dumbarton in an "ordinary" (friendly) match before 7,000 spectators. Two stands had been built, one on the north side of the ground (the Myrtle Park side of the ground) at a cost of forty pounds, while the stand on the south side, shown below, was built under an agreement with a local builder. This meant that the builder constructed the stand at no cost to the club, but spectators had to pay extra to use it and the proceeds were be split evenly between the builder and Queen's, and after a three year period it was to become Queen's property at no cost.
By 1887, the popularity of the game led to two additional trains going from the city centre to Crosshill station on the Cathcart District Railway, returning at the end of the match.
The pavillion at second Hampden in 1889
In 1889 Queen's secured a second five year lease, and a further five year extension in 1894, although by now the rent was £150 per annum. Further attempts were made by the club to buy the ground outright, but these were futile and the another search began for a piece of land the club could purchase and own outright. The search was of course successful, but it would be some time before it was ready.
Eventually it was time to move on, and the last game at the second Hampden was a 1 - 1 draw with Partick Thistle on 17/10/1903, a fortnight before the new stadium was opened.
After Queen's departed the second Hampden Park, the ground was taken over by Third Lanark, who had been playing at a ground about five hundred yards further north on Cathcart Road. Unfortunately no agreement could be reached between Queen's and Third Lanark regarding the pavilion, and it was removed by Queen's.
The second Hampden as it is today
The second Hampden was renamed Cathkin Park, and was used by Thirds until their demise in 1967. There has been virtually no development of the ground since then, and a public football pitch still occupies the ground. Indeed visitors to Cathkin today can still see large sections of terracing complete with barriers that have stood empty for over 35 years.The current Hampden Park, 1903 to 1980
Back | Home