Open to all 42 members of the SFL and SPL, the Scottish League Cup has its origins in the Southern League Cup, a competition introduced during the Second World War to compensate for the suspension of the Scottish Cup.

Following the end of the war, the Scottish League Cup was introduced in season 1946/47 and the initial stages were played in groups of four or five teams, with home and away meetings, with the group stages taking place at the start of each season.

However, given the fluctuating membership of the Queen's Park team, the League Cup was viewed almost as an extension of pre-season as new players were bedded in, and the fact that Queen's only qualified from the group stage to the quarter finals once in 36 attempts would appear to back this up.

That one appearance in the quarter finals came in 1967/68, but after winning four and drawing one of their six group matches, a 5-0 defeat at home to St Johnstone in the first leg of the quarter final quickly put paid to any thoughts of progressing further.

By the mid seventies the group stages were losing popularity with spectators, and in 1977/78 the format was altered to a straight draw with teams playing each other home and away.

This format gave Queen's their best result to date in the competition in 1979/80 when they were drawn against Ally McLeod's First Division Motherwell and travelled to Fir Park in the first leg and goals from Frankie Melrose, Willie Wylie, Derek Wood and Jimmy Nicholson gave them a 4-1 win. Two goals in the last five minutes in the return leg at Hampden weren't enough for Motherwell to rescue the tie.

The competition returned to a sectional format for two seasons in 1981/82 and 1982/83, then 1983/84 saw a return to the two legged format before the current "played to a finish on the night" format was introduced in 1984/85.

Seeding makes serious progress in the competition difficult for lower league teams, but Queen's have provided their fair share of shocks in the tournament, beating an Inverness CT side who went on to win that season's First Division in 2003/04 with goals from Stevie Reilly and Ally Graham, and an extra time win over First Division side Hamilton Accies in 2006/07, with Stevie Canning and Richard Bowers (and two penalty saves from David Crawford) seeing Queen's through by two goals to one. 

That win set up one of the club's greatest nights in recent history when the second round saw them drawn to play Aberdeen at home. A Rolling Stones concert at Hampden necessitated a move to Firhill, and after 120 goalless minutes a 5-3 penalty shoot out win saw them eliminate the SPL side.

To see our record season by season, click here.

To see our record team by team, click here

Back | Home